Have you ever wondered what the International community could achieve if funding for war was diverted to urgent humanitarian needs? This eye opening cost calculator shows what could be bought instead of arms and military equipment.
The Cost of a Single B-2 Stealth Bomber Is $1,000,000,000. This could provide ‘Any One’ of the following resources:
- 2,564,102,564 Meals For Starving People.
- 1,150,510 Clean Water Wells.
- 31,446,541 Adult Cataract Operations. Restoring sight to the blind.
- 285,714,286 Blankets for refugees. In emergencies, families often leave home with only the clothes they are wearing. Blankets give essential protection from the chilling cold.
- 106,951,872 Mosquito Nets. Two million people die every year from malaria, most are children under five.
- 31,466,331 Child Immunisations. Protect a child from the six childhood killer diseases – diphtheria, whooping cough, measles, polio, tetanus and tuberculosis. A gift of life every child must have.
- 713,318 Houses for family’s currently living in cramped, unsanitary and dangerous conditions.
- 270,196 Schools Furnished with desks, chairs, tables, blackboards – vital things children need to build a foundation for learning.
- 53,504,548 Children supplied with school books for a whole year.
- 1,000,000 Landmines removed from the ground.
- 3,876,720 Adult Literary Classes.
- 3,030,303 World Response Medicine Boxes. Each containing essential medicines to treat the most common diseases for a community of one thousand people for approximately three months.
- 106,951,872 Fruit trees planted. Providing a giant boost to the diet and health of a poor family.
- 89,126,560 Fishing Nets. Give a man, woman or child a fishing net and they – and their families – will have a source of food.
- 41,152,263 Nanny Goats. Milk, cheese and kids. Families in places like Bangladesh can earn a living by starting a small goat-herding business.
- 35,663,338 Chickens. Eggs mean protein – vital for every diet. Three chickens can produce enough eggs to feed a whole family. They’ll produce baby chicks too.
- 89,126,560 Training courses for a health worker. Providing a local health worker basic skills on how to treat, prevent and stop the spread of the most common life-threatening diseases.
- 25,477,707 Childrens School Desk and School Supplies. For children who have no place to sit, study and read this gives one child a desk with pencils, pens and books.
- 3,876,720 Wheelchairs. For a disabled child, a wheelchair can be the ticket to freedom and education.
- 1,430,451 Vocational Scholarships. One year programme helps young people learn a trade and gives them the vocational and technical training they need to improve their future.
- 89,126,560 Water Filters. Poor families in places like Cambodia, have no choice but to drink water full of bacteria and parasites. Water filters saves lives by screening out small but deadly bugs.
- 15,285,845 Bicycles for a child to get to school every day.
- 100,000,000,000 Chlorine Tablets to make water safe to drink.
To calculate the costs of other aspects of war, visit: Cost of War Calculator – STWR – Share The World’s Resources.