FOR has received glowing feedback to last week’s “REPARATIONS: From Conversation to ACTION!” webinar, co-hosted by the Fellowship of Reconciliation and the Truth Telling Project.
Their packed online audience of over 100 people was powerfully moved by the testimonies and resources offered by an intergenerational group of experts & activists. Outstanding panelists included Dr. Iva Carruthers, Dr. Amilcar Shabazz, Rev. Lucas Johnson, and Jodie Geddes and co-moderators were, Chrissi Jackson and David Ragland.
Speakers and audience members discussed a wide range of topics related to reparations, including economics, politics, psychological trauma, the role of religious institutions, intersectional movement-building, and much more.
- Coming To The Table Reparations Guide (published January 2018, PDF download)
- U.S. House of Representatives HB-40 legislation to study and implement reparations (introduced by Rep. John Conyers each legislative session since 1989; it was amended in 2017 in the 115th Congress to go beyond study to implementation)
- U.N. International Decade for People of African Descent (2015-2024)
- U.N. Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent Statement (2016)
- The National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America (N’COBRA) — organizer of Reparations Awareness Day, observed annually on February 25th
- Institute for the Black World, 21st Century
- Reparations Labor Union
- Foundations of the Black Nation, Imari Obadele (1975). See Part 2: Practice, pp. 73-106, with the legislative requests for reparations.
- Reparations Yes! by Chokwe Lumumba, Imari Obadele, and Nkechi Taifa (1987; 3rd e., 1993). Includes The Japanese Reparations Act, The Conyers Reparations Study Bill, and Proposed Reparations Amendment.
- The Forty Acres Documents: What Did the United States Really Promise The People Freed from Slavery? (1994): Dr. Shabazz’s introduction is also available online for free, “Land, Reparations, and the Freedpeople: Some Lessons of History” (PDF download)
- Litigation text of Deadria Farmer-Paellmann v. FleetBoston Financial Corp., Aetna, Inc.  (PDF download)