Home > Events > GDAMS 2021 have started: ‘5 weeks to take action against military spending’
GDAMS 2021 have started: ‘5 weeks to take action against military spending’
Join us during our special period of action, the Global Days of Action on Military Spending -GDAMS-, from April 10 to May 17. These dates include:
– April 26: Press conferences and Social Media Storm on the occasion of SIPRI’s release of new data on military spending
– May 1: International Workers Day
– May 9: Europe’s Day of Peace
– May 17: Tax Day in the U.S. & AEPF GCOMS Workshop
How can you join GDAMS?
If you’re part of an organization:
1. Prepare your own GDAMS actions or join other organizations.
Check out our list of actions here.
2. Endorse our APPEAL by sending us an email or filling in this form. On April 26 we’ll make it public with a list of endorsing organizations. You can also read this Appeal in Spanish, French, Catalan, Italian, and Korean.
3. Also on April 26, we will host press conferences in at least 5 cities We’ll analyse the new data on military spending released that day by SIPRI and get our message on the media: we demand major reductions on defence budgets around the world and a refunneling of those funds to people and the environment. If you want to prepare a press conference in your city/country, reach to us and we’ll help you plan it and get the data in advance.
4. Be part of our Social Media Storm on April 26. That day we need to make our message go viral! You can find instructions and materials on our Shared Folder.
5. Use your social networks to spread the word, and find allies; Share ideas, articles, actions and comments and keep the debate alive using social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram).
As an individual:
1. Organize/support GDAMS actions in your city /country
2. Do Online Campaigning: join our social media storm on April 26; use your social media to help spread our message by sharing news, materials and actions; You can find instructions and materials on our Shared Folder.
3. Join a local group working on the issue, or set one up! Here’s our list of partners.
4. Participate in the online events of the campaign, as the webinars organised by IPB, AEPF or Pax Vlanderen.
5. Put pressure on your representatives and demand them reductions of military expenditures. If you’re from the U.S you can do it here. If you’re from the UK, check this out.